Friday, March 25, 2011

First week in hospital





The first pic is of my bandages on my legs, I needed to wear compression bandages on my legs to prevent clots. The second pic is my first meal, The third pic was my first 'solid' meal, as in full liquids. The fourth pic is of my hospital tags. Waking up in my room, my dad, sister, and aunty Carol and a good family friend Fern were there.. I was so tired, I had an awful nasogastric tube in to drain the blood from my stomach, an oxygen mask on and a catheter in... oh and my drip.. wow... I must have looked like a disaster. (Can you picture it) I also had six very small cuts in a half moon shape on my tummy, but I was so out of it, I was so hot, my aunt was sponging my face down, and somehow I managed to pull my nasogastric tube out.. Murphy's law! Only I could manage something that stupid. The nurses came and got me out of bed and I had to walk to the door and back, not too far (luckily) Then they sat me in this reclining chair in the room. The physio was there to give me breathing techniques.. they put the tube back in, but to be honest most of it was a blur, the silly fools gave me a self dosing mophine drip, he he he, I so abused that drip! (evil grin) They (the nursing staff and physio) wanted me to sleep in the recliner, but at 11pm I just couldnt do it anymore and asked if I could go back into the bed. I really needed to stretch my legs out. I cant sleep upright. its impossible. The nurses wouldn't let me, so I got so upset I was crying, and pushing my blood pressure up so eventually they relented, but I had to sleep with the upper half of the bed elevated. Which I did. It was so much better. The next day, they gave me a little bit of water to drink, and then kept increasing it a bit. eventually I got to 100mls and then they took the nasogastric tube out. The oxygen came off, then my catheter came out. I started walking up and down the corridor to keep active and get moving, hospital is quite boring after awhile. :) I had to get regular injections of a drug called clexin which is a blood thinner to prevent clots. On Wednesday my drip came out and then thursday I got discharged. It was such a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment