Friday, March 25, 2011

Disaster strikes


Friday I was feeling great and went for a looooong walk from my house to the nearest shopping centre and back. Saturday I was still feeling good and went to a friends hen party, that night I started feeling a little niggly (you know the feeling when something doesn't feel right) I just put it down to overdoing it at the hens party. Sunday I started feeling bad, I was super tired, I had pains in my chest, which radiated up into my arms and pins and needles in my hands. I hardly slept that whole night and was up at 6am because of the pain. Now those that know me, will understand that this is so wierd! I was clammy and sweaty and I couldnt breathe properly and walking even short distances caused me to get out of breath. at 830am I phoned the Chrysalis Clinic Coordinator, the sweetest person ever, Gill Gibson. She said to me, hang on, I will phone you back in 5 minutes. She called me back straight away and said that I must go see my hospital physican Dr John Turner at 10:30am and if it got any worse between now and then to go straight to the emergency room. (so don't panic then?) The problem was, I live with my dad who had conveniently gone away for 2 days for business. Crapeola!!! So I phoned my aunty carol to come and take me to the doctor. My dad had phoned our neighbour Dorothy who has a key to our house. She came over to check on me... I obviously didn't realise how bad I looked. I went to the doctor and he first did an examination, then he sent me for a chest xray which was inconclusive. Then I went for something called a D-Diner blood test to test for a pulmonary embolism. Dr Turner informed me though that more than likely it would come back positive because Ive just had surgery, and if it came back positive we would have to treat it like an embolism. The only certain way would be a ct scan with contrast but I cant have that because I wont fit on the scanner. His secretary obviously heard this and phoned the Xray department and they said no of course I can I am way under their weight limit of 300kgs. So I toddled off to go have a ct scan. It took forever but eventually it came back, and guess what. DING DING DING we have a winner, not one, not two, not three, but four clots in my lungs... Yippee.... NOT!
Straight to the ward, do not pass go, do not go home and pack a hospital bag. Whoopdioo... Luckily I was put back in my old room with the nurses that I knew. I had to have clexin injections, not one, not two, not three, but four a day. 120miligrams twice a day... my thighs looked like pin cushions. It was insane. Then I started on warfarin tablet on the tuesday. I was finally discharged on saturday morning. Hospital is boring when you feel well. I am now on warfarin tablets every day for the next 6 months. :( but its a small price to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment