Thursday, March 24, 2011

before surgery


Wow... before the surgery I was feeling so nervous... but at the same time... I felt 'thank goodness its finally here.' It was such a short space of time.. it was hard to wrap my head around it. I had previously tried 3 times to have gastric bypass surgery but due to the medical aid refusing to pay and other issues it never happened. Then end of November last year my sister suggested I re-look at having gastric bypass. I phoned Gill Gibson to ask her about it, knowing that their offices closed for December I made an appointment for when they opened on the 10th of January. I also found out which plan of Discovery Medical Aid paid for the surgery and changed my plan over to that one. On the 10th of Jan I had an appointment with Gill Gibson, but because I had been on the programme before, I knew who I had to see, so I had an appointment with Claire McMahon the dietician, straight after seeing Gill Gibson.
She put me on the programme and it was a whirlwind of seeing the dietician, the endocrinologist, the psychologist, the psychiatrist, the biokinetist, the physician and the surgeon.
I had a gastroscopy and a chest xray and blood work done. I went on an exercise programme, and diet. I lost some weight... and this is all before I left for a holiday in disney on the 27th of January. Initially the date for the surgery was booked on the 7th of March but then the surgeon was going to be away, so it was moved up to the 28th of February. I went to Disney and gained 4 kilos in 2 weeks. Came back, lost those 4 kilos plus 3 more... and then all of a sudden it was the day before surgery... It was my friend Lesley's birthday and went for Drinks at Peddlars and then dinner at Tangos... it was a lovely way to have my 'last meal' :D
I had to have my meal and drink at 10pm... I went home took a sleeping pill and went lala's. In the morning the anethetist phoned me to check that I was ok. He said I could have a glass of half apple juice and half water before 8am... I ran myself a nice bath with lavender bubble bath and sat and relaxed. My hospital bag was packed and waiting. I got ready and my dad drove me to the hospital at 10am. I was checked in.. the nurses were so lovely... I put my sexy hospital gown on.. you know the one that you can't turn around in... I believe its the peekaboo model :) hehehehehe.
They were running late for the surgery so we waited and waited and waited... eventually I took my contact lenses out and the porter wheeled me down to the operating theatre. Gill Gibson was with me keeping me company. I waited in the recovery area outside the operating theatre for quite a while.. eventually I said I had to go to the loo.. so blind I hopped up and went to the loo... came back, made idle chitchat... then eventually it was time to wheel me into the operating room. I transfered over to the operating table. I took my arms out of the gown, so it was just draped over me, trying desperately to not think that in a little while everyone is going to see me starkers... Gill assured me that they keep everything except the operating site covered with sterile drapes. I joked with the anethetist and the nurse that I was there for my cheeseburger and milkshake... then the drip went in and the oxygen mask went on and that was all she wrote... lala land.

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic....the road to a new YOU!!!! Thank you for sharing your very special and personal journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are u doing now the lung thingy scared me wow

    ReplyDelete